Add this Asian-inspired chicken soup recipe to your repertoire for a tasty, delicious and healthy meal.
The ingredient of Chicken and coconut soup
- 4 stalks lemongrass, white part only, bruised
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, crushed
- 5cm piece fresh galangal, thinly sliced
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk
- 4 cups (1L) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 (about 400g) chicken breast fillets
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped palm sugar
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 red birdseye chillies, thinly sliced diagonally
- Finely shredded kaffir lime leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken and coconut soup
- Place the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, coconut milk and chicken stock in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, covered, for 1 hour to develop the flavours.
- Add the chicken to the stock mixture and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Shred the chicken with your fingers.
- Pour the stock mixture though a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Discard the lemongrass mixture. Place over medium heat and add the chicken, fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar and carrot. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated though.
- Ladle soup among serving bowls. Top with green onion, chilli slices and shredded kaffir lime leaves, if desired.
Nutritions of Chicken and coconut soupcalories: 548.266 calories
fatContent: 38 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 31 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 16 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 10 grams sugar
proteinContent: 35 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 82 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 3593.31 milligrams sodium